Tuesday, July 15, 2008

VBS


OK. So my kids have gone to vacation bible school ever since they were old enough, and I have never volunteered to help. So the head of the children's department caught me off guard and asked if I could help. What is my first response, SURE. AHHH but wait I have a bunch of kids to young in my daycare. She informed me that workers could bring their kids to there nursery. So I gave in and did it.

I started the morning off at 6:30 am, and began my normal duties. Got the kids up around 7:30, got them dressed and fed them breakfast. Miss Shirley informed me that the bus would be there to pick up my kids around 10 after 8:00am. Due to me watching so many kids and not driving a bus myself I needed help hauling the children around. So I take the older ones outside and began the 40 minute wait for the bus. Yes 40 minutes!!! We finally see the bus and he drives right on by...what is going on here? I noticed he was picking some kids up from up the hill, and then he drove by again. Only this time he looked at us, and pointed his finger as if to say "one minute". He began backing up in the middle of the road and noticed someone behind him, so he drove on. We waited another 10 minutes and I said forget it, so I piled up the kids in my van. Thank goodness one of the parents took her 3 boys to VBS, so I did have enough room in my van. That bus never did come back, he was sitting there in the parking lot when I got there.

I will skip some other irritating issues I had!! Sometimes my over organized anal characteristics get in the way.

After informing Shirley of what had happened with the bus. She told me she had forgotten to let the bus driver know to stop at my house. That's great. I thought that was the reason she called me and woke me up from my Sunday afternoon nap. But anyways, lets move on.

So there is 15 minutes left until VBS is over for the day. Shirley lets me know that my kids need to be on the red bus. OK "is the bus the color red", I ask her. NO. They need to have red bands on their wrists. OK "so where do I find these red bands", she responds that she'll have to locate them. OK when will that happen while she is closing out VBS? By this point I am on the verge of going OFF!!!! The next thing I know my kids don't have red bands and have no idea they are even supposed to be on a RED bus. And Shirley starts telling the "red bus kids" to go to there room. Now I've hit it...that place I don't like to be...I'm about to lose my mind!!! I run all over the auditorium and try and locate 5 of my older kids to get to this room. The poor kids were confused and scared. Devyn was trying to help me find everyone, and thank heavens she knew were all of them were located. So I get them to this RED room and the guy says, well they don't have red bands....ARRRRRGHHHHHH. I don't care if they have them or not, Shirley didn't give them to me and will you PLEASE take them my address!!??

We all made it. 9 of us back home safely. I guess when it comes down to it, Shirley did make sure my kids got on a bus, maybe not the organized way I thought it should be but it happened. I can't stand chaos, and that's what the entire morning was!!!! But I am happy to say today was much better. I really loved it. I've taught most of the kids I have in Sunday School, and they are so precious!! Ester and I have 12 boys and only 2 girls in our group. They keep us busy. But what a blessing to watch them sing to Jesus, do crafts and learn a story about the bible!! I'm so glad I volunteered!!

God is Good!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Sounds like a stressful day. But what a positive way to end it!!! Did the bus stop today???