Thursday, August 28, 2008

the wasp


Since school started I only have 3 kids to watch during the day which is so nice. We get to go places, which is odd for me because I haven't been able to do that in the 4 years I've been doing this in my home. Crazy. Anyways, yesterday I decided to take the kids to the park. There is a little park close to my house by the library, and is perfect for the age group I have right now.


What a beautiful day it was, I grabbed my book and put the kids in the van. When we get to the park we are all walking up the hill and I noticed some bugs flying around. I saw one flying by the Landon's head (18 mo. old) and he started rubbing his face after it flew away. I thought to myself that it couldn't be a wasp sting because he would be crying. I grabbed my book and began to read and the next thing I know Nate is screaming..."the bug bite me". Then it all clicked in my head... it was a wasp and it stung both the baby and now Nate. I took off my shoe and began to swing at the thing and all of the sudden there were what seemed to be a thousand wasps. I'm sure now that I look back it was only 5 to 10. Too many in my opinion. But anyways one of the wasp stung me on the leg. This was a first for me. In all of my 31 years I have never been stung by a wasp from what I can remember. And I believe I would remember that pain.


I have made fun of my husband for years because he is deathly afraid of wasps due to being stung several times as a child. I mention wasp and he starts to get chills all over his body. NEVER again will I make fun of him. Wasp suck. After realizing that there was no way I was gonna kill all those wasps and before we got stung more I started grabbing the children and running down the hill. In the process I was putting back on my flip flop and a wasp got stuck between my shoe and my foot...stung again. It hurt!! I was scared. Not necessarily of getting stung again, but the kids getting stung again. Allergic reaction was my concern.


We made it back to the car and I looked at there bites. They were both a little swollen with a red dot in the middle. I called Landon's mother to inform her of what had happened and to ask if he has had an allergic reaction before, and she notified me he had never been stung before by a wasp. OHHH great now it's the wait and see game. Nate had never been stung before either and as I wrote above neither had I. Corinne (the little girl I watch) lucked out and didn't get stung at all. How I don't know.


The boys were OK. By this morning they just look like little red dots. Thank you God. I had the worst reaction which really wasn't that bad. I just don't handle pain at all...how the heck did I have 4 children and 2 without drugs?? I probably had what they call a mild allergic reaction. It swelled up and was painful. It still is painful. I woke up in the middle of the night, and tried to scratch off my foot. My body was achy and I was tired, but I feel better this morning. They are still read and swollen but I'll get over it. As I said I'm not to good at handling pain. The picture gives no justice to what this wasp did. Now I will be the one to get chills and run like a baby when I see a wasp. Awful creatures!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh don't be such a sissy! I have been stung by a wasp where it really hurts!!!!