Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Butterfly Palace

Well I began my day doing my normal routine. Tuesday is housecleaning day. About 8:30am I received a call that the baby I watch wasn't feeling to good so he would not be coming today. I finished going about my duties, and finished cleaning the house. About 10am I found out the little girl I watch was spending the day with her grandma so she wouldn't be here either. WOW!! A surprise day off. A day with just Nate. What a beautiful surprise!!

Ok so now the decision of what we would do. Money is tight right now, so I had to decide on something that wouldn't hurt the budget. After much thought I called the Butterfly Palace, and they informed me that Stone and Taney counties got in for $5. What a deal. The girls had been with school and loved it, so I knew I had hit the jackpot. Who wants to just sit at home when you have a day off??? Not me or Nate for that matter!!

We get ourselves dressed and head out. Of course it was about lunch time, so we ate at the place every child adores...McDonald's. That's the cheapest meal I have paid for in a long time. We get in the car and head to the Butterfly Palace or Butterfly Palish as Nate called it. This was the most question asked 10 minute trip I think I have ever had. All the while I am trying to make him understand that I have NEVER been there either, so we will find out about it together. We pay our $10 and start our adventure together.

First was a 3D movie. I thought this was the part that Nate would hate and never sit still for. Personally I don't even know why I try and think what Nate will do because it is never accurate. He sat through the 15 minute movie without moving, except to say WOW. It was neat. Like watching a discovery channel show about butterflies except it's 3D.

Next we got to enter the area where the butterflies were. How beautiful. I thought it would be bigger, but it didn't need to be. There were birds that came very close to you, and the butterflies fly either above your head or right on your clothes. They loved Nate's bright orange turtle ninga shirt. Then I put a little perfume (the chances of that being my purse was a miracle within itself) on his shirt. He would be really still and they would sit right on his shoulder. It was awesome. Perfect.

Then they had an area of where they kept aquariums that had centipedes, turtles, frogs, and all kinds of lizards. Boy did he love that. We went through that section a FEW times. It never got boring, at least not with him.

The final area was a dark maze that had mirrors, and you had to find your way out. He did NOT like that. To be completely honest neither did I. I felt lost and all I could see was myself in all these mirrors. But I did a pretty good job of not letting him know mom did not like this either. Next came the tears...."NO I don't want to go...I want to stay here!!". So I had to use my secret escape plan of ice cream. We went to Andy's Frozen Custard and each enjoyed a custard cone. Yum Yum.

My only disappointment in the day is that I forgot my camera. Boy did I cuss myself! But no one can ever take this day away from me. When you have kidS, it's rare that you have a one on one day with them. It was a memory that will not fade quickly. I'm so blessed!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

What a perfect day! How fun to have that time with Nate. Ok, I have to cuss you a bit.....did you take pictures with your phone at least? I have a new strategy with my camera because I always think it would be nice to have a picture of that and don't have my camera. I put it in my purse and it stays there. It has been quite handy!